Are you getting ready to drink warm water from a plastic water bottle in your car? If you find yourself reaching for the lukewarm bottle from the handy cup holder, think again. Your water bottle may be the most hazardous item in your vehicle. Wondering Why? Well, what was once regarded as a healthy habit is now a possible toxic health risk.
With growing awareness of toxins in our environment, new research points to warm water in plastic water bottles is joining the ranks of wasteful hazards that we would be wise to break away from.
New research* indicates that heat reacts with chemicals in the plastic of the bottle which releases dioxin into the air. Dioxin is toxin that may very well be found in breast cancer tissue. In an environmentally complex world full of chemicals and toxins, the links between the rise of cancer and chemicals appears obvious.
And, where does all this plastic end up? While the toxins may build up in our bodies, the toxin load chokes our environment. The sad truth is more than 75% of plastic water bottles are never recycled, they’re simply thrown away. They end up in landfills and oceans.
*While the medical and scientific experts continue to research whether these claims are 100% undisputed, we recommend you drink water at cold or room temperature when on the go.