Back-to-school means back-to-work
Patty Kreamer, Certified Professional OrganizerFall is approaching, and the kids are going back to school. What can you do to get the school year off to a more relaxing and peaceful start?
Whether you are a mom or not, and no matter how old you get, you always get that back-to-school feeling when August rolls around. It's not necessarily a bad feeling (like the butterflies in your stomach that you got when you were a kid), but more a feeling of a clean slate and a fresh start.
As you got older and became a working woman, that back-to-school mentality stayed with you. Around August and September, when you see the school buses on the roads and children on the corners waiting for the bus, first you thank heaven that you don't have to go to school; then you get that feeling of renewal.
This is the ideal time and place for you to pause and consider what is important to you and your family.
- Make sure you are only putting things on your plate that belong there.
- What in your life can you do without?
- What have you been doing without that should be there?
For example, a friend of mine who owns a business recently went to Thailand on a mission. She had always wanted to do this, but was discouraged from doing so. She finally decided to put the needs of her business and family aside for a few weeks while she went away and did something that she has always wanted to do. She wishes she had done it sooner, but is ecstatic to have finally done it.
- Is there something that you have always wanted to do but keep putting off?
- On the other hand, take a look at your month-at-a-glance calendar. What items are on it that no longer offer gratification?
- Review the associations that you belong to, the clubs that you volunteer for, and the positions that you hold in these organizations. Do you do it out of obligation, guilt, or because nobody else will?
- Perhaps it is time to re-evaluate what you give of yourself and be sure that your slate only has on it what you want to be on it.
- The rest will take care of itself.
So let's declare Back-To-School as Back-To-Work for Working Women! It's your time to begin anew. Refreshing, isn't it?
Patty Kreamer, Certified Professional Organizer® and owner of Kreamer Connect, Inc., provides speaking, coaching and consulting services to businesses and organizations who value effective practices that will leave their people being more efficient, empowered and proud of their accomplishments.
Do you want to be a much more organized person? Patty's groundbreaking books, "...But I Might Need It Someday!" and The Power of Simplicity are available for purchase at www.ByeByeClutter.com. Or if you prefer a "baby-steps" online/workbook-based course, check out the Clutter Rescue Course®, which will transform a life of clutter, wasted time, frustration and overwhelm to one of power, simplicity and organization.
If you're looking for a fun, dynamic, and effective speaker, or if your company would benefit from a productivity coach or consultant, Patty is available in person, by teleconference, webinar and phone. Email her directly at [email protected] or call her at 412-344-3252.
©2009 Kreamer Connect, Inc. Permission granted to reprint this article as long as the text and by-line are not changed. Complete text must be reprinted intact with all links made live.Top